Have a warm sensation inside leg and ankle area. Had injury in heel bone. Is this from nerve ending?

I have a warm sensation inside my leg and ankle area. I had some injury in my heel bone from many years ago and recently had a cortisone shot XXXXXXX in there. This has been about a month ago now. Several times a day, I have a warm feeling inside my ankle this from nerve endings or what?
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 hours later

Thanks for posting your query here.

I understand your concern. An abnormal sensation is termed as paraesthesia and is attributed to neurological disturbances. Perhaps the cortisone shot may have triggered a neurological injury resulting in this sensation.

I have to say that this is not a serious concern which you need to worry off.

Such neurological injuries often heal by itself and resolution of symptoms is seen in 3-6 months of injury. Vitamin B12 supplements can be taken - one per day to aid the recovery. If the sensation is troubling antidepressant drugs such as amitriptyline or anticonvulsants such as gabapentine, pregabalin or carbamazepine can be tried briefly. These drugs have soothening effects on the nerves, thus reducing the sensation.

A competent neurologist can be able to help you with this problem. You may try the aforementioned medication (if needed) under the guidance of the neurologist.

I would also wish you to rule out diabetes; get your blood sugar done.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more enquiries.
If you do not have any follow ups, please do not mind to close this discussion.

Best Regards
Dr. Prasad