Have a visible pulsating artery next to mouth. Is there some kind of surgery to make it less prominent?

I have a visible pulsating artery next to my mouth. It sticks out and is about the size of a pea. It looks horrible. Is there some kind of surgery to make it less prominent? I know it's a very important artery.
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 2 hours later

Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

You are right. The area you are talking about is supplied by superior and inferior Labial arteries and facial artery and they are very important arteries. Besides, the region from the root of nose and two angles (corners) of mouth is called "Dangerous area" as the veins of this region are connected to cavernous sinus in brain. Generally surgeons will manipulate in this area with extreme caution and only if required.

The pulsation could be due to capillary malformation or due to Arterio Venous (AV) malformation. AV malformation are abnormal connection between an artery and a vein. Sometimes even facial tics may mimic pulsation. If the area is warm and pulsatile, then it may be due to capillary or AV malformation.

MRI of the facial area will help in evaluating the extent of AV malformation. Catheter angiogram also helps to find out the size of the area involved.

Yes surgery may be the available option for your problem. In case of capillary pulsation excision of the capillary can be done for cosmetic purposes provided that it does not interfere with the blood supply of face. Catheter embolisation is done to occlude the AV malformation. You need to get an opinion from a surgeon for further course of action.

I hope this helps.