Have a very dark brown/black vaginal discharge with lots of clots. What do I do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi I am having a very dark brown/black vaginal discharge with lots of clots! What do I do? Should I go to the ER?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 32 minutes later
Hello ,
Clots in menstrual fluids or vaginal discharge excessive internal bleeding in the uterus and is commonly seen in menorrhagia, miscarriage, infection or sepsis, any bleeding disorders.
It may cause blood loss anemia , hypotension, etc if uncontrolled.
If you are experiencing sudden onset of such symptom, or its been since many hours without any decrease, or have cramps, fever, dizziness , headache etc please consult an Emergency room facility for confirming diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
Treatment varies from oral medicines like tranexamic acid to surgical procedure.
Hope I have answered your query.