Have a swollen papillae on tongue. Hurts while swallowing. No fever. Reason?

ENT Specialist
I have a swollen papillae at the back right side of my tongue . I also feel pain in the same side of my throat especially when I swallow. The top of my tongue has a white patch, which I have from time to time . Under my tongue and the right side of the tip of my tongue looks bumpier as well. I have no fever or any other symptoms . Please help . Thank you
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably Inflammatory swelling

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.

The findings you have mentioned are suggestive of inflammatory swelling. But for exclusion of other diseases, I request you to provide few answers.

Since when have you noticed the swollen papillae ?
Since when do you have pain?
May I know the character, nature , intensity of the pain?
Have you done any pathological investigation such as Hb%, Blood sugar and TLC & DLC?
Have you any pain during the pressure over the posterior part of the right side of tongue?
Did you have similar episode in past?
Do you have any redness in that part of the tongue?
Do you have the habit of smoking/drinking/chewing tobacco?
Do you have acid reflux/burning sensation in throat?

Please provide these information for exclusion of other diseases.

I personally advise short course of proper antibiotics, and pro-biotics with anti-inflammatory drugs.

If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Have a swollen papillae on tongue. Hurts while swallowing. No fever. Reason? 3 hours later
1) It is located all the way in the back of my tongue exactly in the right side of it . I noticed it yesterday
2) the pain in my right side of my throat started a week a ago
3) the pain is not intense , like a 2. Only one sided . Feels like a sorethroat but only at the right side
4) I haven't done any testing yet
5) I have never felt or seen this before .
Only thing that I had before that is close to this was reddish top of my tongue with inflamed taste buds in the right and left side of the top of my tongue . I had this about 2 months ago.. It went away on its own .I went to see a doctor , she said that looked little dehydrated and that I should be drinking a lot of water .. She did advise me to do my yearly check up , which I have scheduled in 4 weeks.
6) No pain in any part if my tongue
7) That part of tongue is reddish ( around the swelling is red , the color around it is stronger than the other part of the tongue)
8) I don't smoke, drink or do any drugs .
9) I had an upset stomach couple days before the pain started, had 3 episodes of hiccups that lasted about 20 min,and felt some burning sensation above the stomach .
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inflammatory swelling with GERD

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your answer and I guess you have Glossitis (Inflammatory swelling in the tongue) with gastro-oesophageal reflux disease.

I personally suggest you to take the following after consultation with an ENT Specialist.

1. Proper antibiotic course
2. Pre and Probiotic
3. Anti- Inflammatory drug
4. Antacid
You may require investigations such as Hb%, TLC, DLC , Blood sugar.

Wish you good health