Have a swollen lymph node on neck. Throat is little dry and getting headache. Gums are inflamed and have rotten teeth. Sign of cancer?

I currently have a swollen lymph node on my right side of my neck. It's generally painless unless i really play around with it, but even then it's not very painful. my throat hasn't been hurting me much, though it has been alittle dry and sometimes before bed i get a sheadaches (not severe). My main concern is that my gums are a bit inflamed and i have a few rotten teeth and also, there is a small solid (pimple-like) solid, painless bump behind my bottom from tooth on the gums. Is this a sign of cancer? or perhaps just an infection of the gums? Please let me know any advice you may have, I will be making an appointment with the dentist shortly.
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sounds more like a mild infection.

Detailed Answer:

Relax, You don't have cancer, from the description, it seems like you have a mild infection of the gums and teeth.

It is highly improbable for you to have cancer at this young age if you do not have the habit chewing tobacco.

And when there is an easily identifiable cause such infection, it is prudent to first treat that, and then consider other possibilities if that approach fails.

Please do make the visit to your dentist and get a prescription for antibiotics, I am sure you will be fine with that.

Lymph nodes enlarge and become tender due to infection, they are unlikely to be painful in the case of cancers.

And a cancer would be a long standing one before it can present the way you are describing it, which I don't think is the case with you, because i am sure you would have noticed it earlier and would have got it treated, considering how conscious you are about your health.

I hope I have answered your question. Please do feel free to write back in case you need further clarifications or if you have further questions for me.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Warm regards,