Have a subserosal fibroid on the back of uterus, painful to sacrum area. Can there be complication removing this?

Mar 2016

I have a subserosal 9cm fibroid on the back of my uterus. Can there be complications removing this? It is quite painful to my sacrum area. My Dr. is planning to remove vaginally via hysterectomy with da vinci surgery leaving ovaries in place.
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Uterine fibroid is quite common among women and your size of the subserosal fibroid is quite large (9 cm). It grows outside the uterus and create several symptoms like back pain, constipation, frequent urination, abdominal cramp, feeling of heaviness etc. If it is left untreated, it may lead to some other complications like renal damage by compression of the ureter, twisting of the tumor, pelvic infection after degeneration etc.

Here, best treatment option is surgery and hysterectomy is the procedure of choice at this age. But leaving ovary (atrophied or unhealthy) in the place may give rise to future risk of ovarian cancer in some percentage women. Though, you need not to take HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) additionally in case of healthy ovary. Please consult with your gynecologist regarding this.

In this scenario, Da vinci hysterectomy is the ideal procedure for you. It is a minimally invasive option, designed to overcome the limitations of traditional surgery including complication.

Some advantages are as follows
1) less pain than other traditional method
2) Very few complications & less amount of blood loss
3) Short duration hospital stay & low risk of wound infection
4) Quick recovery and return to normal activities

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.