Have a striated rash on underarm, intensely itchy. Lymph-node noted. Doxycycline was not effective. Help?

I am a 53 year old male. I have a striated rash on one underarm that has persisted for almost 1 year. 1 long striation, 1 short striation, and nearby non-striated rash on either side, generally red, but long striation periodically fades to brownish color. It can be intensely itchy, but I successfully resist the urge to scratch. Very aggressive use of topical steriods, topical antibiotics, and topical fungicides can cause it to periodically fade, but it will not totally go away. A PA checked 3 weeks ago and the rash did not fluoresce under UV light and lymph node under arm was noted to feel normal. A prophylactic bout of oral antibiotics (doxycycline) 21 days, given for a unassociated cause, a recent tick bite, have not been effective for eliminating this rash. Recent blood work (CBC, C1A) normal, slightly elevated blood glucose, but was not fasting. What could cause this and what additional steps should I take?
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 11 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through your history and photo.
It would be great if you can add more good quality photos.

The rash you are describing can be tinea carporis(fungal infection), granuloma annulare, erythrasma , intertrigo.

Also I would like to know
a)How is it flat or elevated?
b)Do you have similar lesions in groin/any other part?
c)Is it flaky /scaly?
d)What antifungal drugs have you tried?Was it able to clear the rash?

Please answer the above question to help you better.

Till then you can take tab Zyrtec ,which is helpful in itching.Can apply soothing lotion like calamine.

Anticipating your response.

Dr Sudarshan