Have a strange rumbling feeling in chest. Any ideas what this may be?

Pulmonologist
Question
I have a strange rumbling feeling in my chest that cums and goes from last Wednesday. Feels like as if flem needs to be brought up but when I cough Its just dry and nothing comes up. That's the best way to explain it. Any ideas what this may be? Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 3 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be having heaviness / congestion in the chest since last week.
2. Do you have associated fever or breathlessness? Do you smoke? Do you have any previous chest complaints? Are you suffering from any other medical disease? Are you taking any medications at the present? Do you have complaint of burning pain in abdomen? Do you have hyperacidity problems or dyspepsia like symptoms eg cold brash, etc.? Do you have associated cold?
3. You need to visit a Pulmonologist and get yourself evaluated.
4. Investigations that may be required are Chest xray pa view, Complete blood count, peripheral smear examination, Spirometry and sputum examination if possible.
4. Based on history you seem to be suffering from an episode of acute bronchitis and based on your investigations certain oral and inhaled medications might help you.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Have a strange rumbling feeling in chest. Any ideas what this may be? 3 hours later
i dont have a cold and i dont suffere from asthma. i went to out of hours clinic on saturday and seen a doc. she checked my chest and sais it was clear. she also checked my heart,pulse and temp. everything was fine. but i am still feeling this rumbling in my chest. it seems to come and go. its because ive never experienced this before its worrying me. ive only ever felt this before if ive had flem stuck and u need to cough it up then it goes away.thisa time its like i cough and theres nothing there. i hav had a bit of a sore chest round the rib area. but this comes and goes too. also i can feel bit breathless at times. but nothing major i would say. hope this little more information gives u bit more to what im feeling. what do u think now?

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 6 hours later
Thanks for the follow up query.
After going through your follow up query, I would like to comment the following:

1.Since you have symptoms in absence of any clinical findings by your doc, as pointed out above investigations that may be required are Chest xray pa view, Complete blood count, peripheral smear examination, Spirometry and sputum examination if possible.

2. The soreness around rib area could be due to repeated attempts of coughing.

3. The picture still looks like acute bronchitis and you need to get yourself investigated as mentioned above.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB