Have a spot on eye bulb close to the retina. What should I do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have a spot on my eye bulb close to the retina what should I do
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
A spot on the eye bulb close to retina could be due to disorders of retinal vessels or macular degenerative disorders or neurological/ systemic causes.
In order to be able to come to the most probable diagnosis I would like to know the details of your problem like,
1. Your symptoms , onset duration and progress of the same .
2. What investigations were done eg retinoscopy , perimetry , vision etc
3. Any past or present major illness like diabetes , hypertension etc
4. Whether on any medications or undergone any surgical procedures like laser photocogulation etc

Considering you have been diagnosed by the ophthalmologist and found to have a blind spot on the retina other than the physiological one , then the treatment would depend on the cause and the severity of the problem.
Most of such cases require surgical intervention if the severity is more and in all cases control of the cause is a must for eg diabetes or blood pressure control, glaucoma treatment etc.
Kindly let me know what exactly do you wish to know further.
Awaiting your response,