Have a splotchy rash on neck and chest area and feels fatigued. Any ideas?

Jul 2012

I have a splotchy rash on my neck / chest area that has gotten better and worse over the last year, but has never completely gone away, Have also been more fatigued lately but I am unsure if that is related - Do you have any idea what this could be - I have taken a picture of the rash for upload. THe rash is not affected by the sun.
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 4 hours later
Hi there.
From your history it appears like a condition called Pityriasis Versicolor...this is a mild low grade fungal infection that tends to recur & is mildly itchy to non-itchy.
It does not appear related to the fatigue you feel.
However, can you upload that photograph please using the 'upload data' icon to the right of your screen?! Cheers.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues
Follow-up: Have a splotchy rash on neck and chest area and feels fatigued. Any ideas? 19 minutes later
Dr. Rodrigues,

I have attached the photograph for you to view.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 10 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX.
I did view your photograph & stand by my earlier diagnosis.
Please apply a topical 2% ketoconazole cream/ lotion twice/daily for 10days or a 2 week period. Also after bathing rub or towel down vigourously. The fungal elements are superficial & as such get dislodged easily. Do wash all your shirts et al in 'hot' water & dry well in the sun & iron them out & do try to avoid slightly damp clothes as they do predispose to such infections.
Again, i stress...minor infection & easily sorted albeit with only topicals, the colour may take time to get back to normal. If you desire 'quicker' response, a single dose of 400mg Fluconazole (prescrption drug) would be the order of day!
Trust this is clear, precise & helps sort your issues online. Please do close the query & do send in your ratings if time permits. Cheers! Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD