Have a spiral fracture on the metacarpal of hand. Twitching on the hand. Due to reduction in swelling?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi hows it going, i have had a spiral fracture in the 4th metacarpal of my right hand, how much movement is too much in a cast, as i get twitching some times, also it feels like there is more space between my hand and the cast, is that due to the reduction of swelling?
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The space between your fingers and cast is likely to be due to reduction in the swelling. This is not worrisome as long as the reduction is maintained.
The movements of fingers is necessary for good blood circulation and to avoid joint stiffness. You can do the movements as far as these are painless.
The mild twitching that you are having is a normal finding and is not worrisome.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have a spiral fracture on the metacarpal of hand. Twitching on the hand. Due to reduction in swelling? 32 hours later
Hey, How much is too much movement in a cast, for e.g. is jumping or low leg workouts affects its healing process?, I once went to the gym and was doing legs, felt like blood flow throb in the hand like a heat beat but there was no pain. Would jumping be too much movement?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Jumping or lower legs workouts is not going to affect the cast in your hand in any way. Please do not worry and continue with the exercise.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.