Have a small patch of skin discolouration. Is anything serious?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
Question
i just have a small patch of skin discolouration.
is anything to worry?
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Pigmentation Problems

Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXX
thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX
I would like to know what is the location of the patch and whether there are any skin texture changes or decreased sensation in the location.
There are several causes of hypopigmented patches like vitiligo,idiopathic hypomelanosis , leprosy, some mechanical contact with depigmentation agents, burns, trauma and few malignant lesions.
What I would recommend for you is that visit a dermatologist and let him examine and confirm the diagnosis of the lesion. Several medications are available to control the further extent of lesion and to revert it back. If it doesn't then plastic surgery corrections are always possible such as melanocyte transfer or suprathin grafting after dermabrasion
I hope I have given you some insight into your condition and have been of some help. If you have any further queries feel free to post again
God bless
Dr Mayank Singh
consultant plastic , cosmetic, hair transplant & laser surgeon

Follow-up: Have a small patch of skin discolouration. Is anything serious? 8 minutes later
it is slight colour change near my thumb area

Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 31 minutes later
thanks for posting your query again.I cannot comment on the diagnosis till I see the lesion personally , so I'll recommend you to visit a dermatologist as I had advised previously and once the lesion is treated and made static can be reverted back by surgical treatment if required (ie not cured by medicines).I hope I have answered to all your queries. If you have any further doubts feel free to post again. If you are satisfied with my answers kindly accept it.
God bless
Dr Mayank Singh
Consultant plastic, cosmetic, hair transplant & laser surgeon

Follow-up: Have a small patch of skin discolouration. Is anything serious? 26 hours later
he told me it is vitligo can i prevent it from spreading ?

Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again .
Vitiligo may be stable or unstable .The dermatologist will be the best person to let you know what is the chance that it may increase in size or number after examining you .You need to start the medication he or she advises and once its stable over a period of time ( 6 months to a year ) can always be reverted back to normal with non surgical or surgical modalities.Just avoid stress about the condition as it may increase it further and start the medical treatment as advised by the dermatologist .
I hope your doubts are clearified .If you have any further queries feel free to mail me directly at YYYY@YYYY .If you are satisfied with my response then kindly accept it on the website of health care magic .
God Bless
Dr Mayank Singh

Follow-up: Have a small patch of skin discolouration. Is anything serious? 49 minutes later
He has given me Psoralen tablet to be taken once every morning and cream to apply. I went on a vegetarian diet and this happened.
He told me to continue my normal meals. I have been always low on iron idet.
Should i take iron tablets as wells.

What food would restore my pigmentation problem?

Should i do a blood count test as well?

Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 5 hours later
No diet or supplements are needed. Just continue with your medications prescribed by your dermatologist and have a balanced diet.Food has got no role in pigment restoration.wish you all the best
God bless

Follow-up: Have a small patch of skin discolouration. Is anything serious? 10 hours later
he told me that this is a small patch nothing to worry and if does not work,
they will use phototherapy.
Will photoherapy bring my condition stable

Answered by Dr. Mayank Singh 26 hours later
first of all we need to assess whether the size or numbers increase.If it does then phototherapy is the next modality of treatment. what I'll suggest is have faith in your treating doctor and let him advise what is best for your condition as he is examining you in person. wish you all the best
God bless