Have a small lump in inner left arm just above the crease. What could this be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Average

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Hi I have a small lump in my inner left arm just above the crease. It is not painful but it is a little uncomfortable. When i straighten my arms it looks a little swollen. What could it be
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 53 minutes later

Causes of this lump could be sebaceous cyst, Lymph node, Bursitis, Abscess or tendonitis.

To allow me to help you better, please let me know something more about swelling-

How long have you had this?

When you press on it, is it hard, rubbery or soft and compressible?

Does it appear to be arising from a bone or bony prominence? or is it just in the skin away from any bone?

Is temperature of skin over lump is raised?

Once I have these answers, we would be able to discuss the treatment better.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have a small lump in inner left arm just above the crease. What could this be? 1 hour later
Its been about a week and its kind of a bit soft and compressible. I dont think is coming from a bone and the swelling is right on the side of crease. When i feel my skin going up towards the armpit it is the that I can feel something.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 21 hours later

Thanks for posting your query again

It is most likely an infected lymph node(Epitrochlear node) or sebaceous cyst.
Epitrochlear nodes are usually enlarged secondary to infections of the hand and forearm.
Get examined by your doctor to find out where the infection is coming from.
If it is sebaceous cyst, it can usually be ignored. Placing a warm moist cloth (compress) over the area may help the cyst drain and heal.
You need systemic (oral) antibiotic treatment for infected lymph node after discussing with your doctor.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.