Ask a Dentist   »  

Have a small, hard white bump on the inside of gums. What could this be?

Question
i have a small, hard white bump on the inside of my gums. I thought it was an access but it feels almost like a piece of bone and it doesn't hurt. It has been there for a month now. What could this be? I use smokeless tobacco, so this may have caused whatever it is.
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us,

I would like to inform you that a painless hard lump is something which needs a thorough dental check up in order to diagnose the cause. As mentioned by you, the bony lump is present for the past 1 month; have you noticed change in its size, shape or color?

As you have a history of consuming smokeless tobacco, the lump may be linked to tobacco.

I would appreciate if you could see an oral pathologist. He / she can carefully examine the lump and biopsy is entailed to confirm the true identity of the bump.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions for me, kindly post them.

Follow-up: Have a small, hard white bump on the inside of gums. What could this be? 19 hours later
I have not noticed a change in size or color. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan so my dental resourced are limited. I started rinsing my mouth with hydrogen peroxide and ceased tobacco use. If i send you a picture of it will that help to narrow it down? Thanks for your help!

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 20 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us,

As you have mentioned above that there is no change in colour as well as size of that lump, can you please tell me if the tooth adjacent to that lump is decayed or not.

If you can send me the image of that lump and the adjacent structures may be then I can help you further. You can post the image using the site's downloader.

Also tell me if you had history of tooth ache in the same region where that lump is present now.'

Awaiting your reply...

Follow-up: Have a small, hard white bump on the inside of gums. What could this be? 1 hour later
I have a tooth that received a root canal on a tooth 3 teeth away...but nothing on the ones on either side of the lump. I am going to see a dentist tomorrow to get it evaluated. thanks for your help

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 35 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

It's really good to hear that you will be visiting a dentist soon.

I do not feel that a root canal treated tooth is responsible for the lump, anyways do not worry. Your dentist should be able to take care of it.

I hope you had a pleasant experience with XXXXXXX Please close this discussion if you do not have any follow ups.

I wish you good health