Have a small hard non movable lump behind ear. What could that be? Will it be cancer?

Hi doctor, i have a small hard nonmovable lump about 1 cm or less in diameter behind my right ear.I am 23 years old female, height 154 cm and weight 47 kg. I just notice it couple days ago. About 5 months ago, i went to ENT doctor and he hasn't noticed anything. I don't think it grows or even there. What could that be? Will it be cancer?
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 56 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
The appearance of lump behind one or both ears is very common and in most of cases it is a swollen lymph node caused by local scalp infection or cold,sinusitis or ear infections.
Although there are various other reasons for lump behind ear,you seem to have developed it because of recent cold and sore throat along with some possible ear infection.Such type of lymph nodes generally disappear with the disappearance of the cause.
I would advise you to wait for three weeks and if it grows or becomes painful or doesn't go away,you may consult the doctor for the proper physical examination and necessary investigations.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Have a small hard non movable lump behind ear. What could that be? Will it be cancer? 2 hours later
Thank you it normal to hv lymph node less than 1 cm? What happen if it doesn't get larger and do not dissapear? I'm so worried since i noticed it recently. I don't know how long it was there for. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Normally the lumps behind ear are pea sized.
Your ear lump is most likely associated with your recent cold and sore throat and this lump will disappear or shrink once your sore throat is over
It may take 4 to 6 weeks.
If your lymph node persists more than 6 weeks ,then you can consult your doctor who can examine and investigate it.