Have a small fleshy lump just above tonsil. What could be this?

I have a small fleshy lump just above my left tonsil between the tonsillar arches. I know it's been there for at least a couple of years, but have stated to worry about it again. My Gp looked a couple of years ago and said she couldn't see anything abnormal, but I'm not sure I expained exactly what it was I was concerned about! I don't think it's changed at all - it slightly protrudes out from behind the front arch. My tonsil itself doesn't appear swollen. I am an extremely anxious person and currently suffering from a severe bout of anxiety, so this is playing on my mind a lot. Could it just be part of the tonsil itself or maybe a node or something.? I've worked myself up into a real stew about it. I have made an appt to see my Gp next week, but could do with some reassurance until then.
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different massses that can be seen on the tonsils.They include:(1) cysts- epithelial cysts are common, small cysts do not cause any symptoms but larger ones may be associated with a feeling of something in the throat (2) papilloma- the majority of benign lesions on the tonsil are squamous papilloma (3) polyps- these may be benign (non cancerous) growths that can also be seen on the tonsils, they represent 2% of the cases of persons who may have tonsillar growths.They may present with sore throat, difficulty swallowing if they are large in size (4)tonsillar cancer- this is more common in men and is associated with sore throat and a lump inthe neck. It is diagnosed by biopsy of the mass. Because you had this lesion for years and there is minimal growth, it is unlikely to be a malignant tumor. Cancer would not remain dormant for years, by now you would be experiencing significant symptoms.
Any lesion present would likely be a benign mass.

Your doctor will likely examine your throat and may consider refering you to an ENT doctor if necessary.Diagnosis of the exact nature of the lump would be made by a specialist based on its appearance and possible biopsy.

I hope this eases your mind, feel free to ask any other questions