Have a slightly reduced progesteron, suspicion of lack of ovulation. Husband's sperm count low. Any advice?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi
Doctors investigation show that I have a slightly reduced progesteron in the second half of cycle,suspicion of lack of ovulation,suspicion of blocked tube due to chlamydia infection,the main problem is reduced sperm count of my hubby. Analysys show concentration of sperm between 0.6 and 2.4milliion/ml with 30% of sperm motility and between 9 and 18% normal forms.
please can you advise me
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

According to your reports the better option is IVF (In vitro fertilization).
Because:
-Though ovulation is induced and progesterone supplementation is given to you, because of the blocked tubes the spermatozoa and/or ovum cannot travel to reach each other.
-To perform IUI at least 5 million/ml sperm concentration with good motility is needed in general. So this may not become successful in your case.
-According to your age there is chance of low follicular reserve. So repeated ovulation induction may not be successful after few cycles.

So because of all these things better to go for IVF.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have a slightly reduced progesteron, suspicion of lack of ovulation. Husband's sperm count low. Any advice? 20 hours later

Hi Dr.
Thanks for the reply.
I have already done 3 unsucessful Ivf maybe I need to consider going for a treatment to flush or unblock my f. tubes

The possible causes of IVF failure are:
-Poor ovarian reserve.
-Super ovulation leading to poor quality of ovum.
-Technical difficulties etc.
For more details: http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/06/possible-causes-of-ivf-failure-and.html
The success of tubal recanalisation depends on the cause of the block, extent of the block, condition of the tube, the length of the tube that remains after the procedure.
You discuss these things with your doctor and proceed according to her advice.
You can go for HSG (Hysterosalpingogram) or SIS (Saline infusion sonography), which can possibly detect the site and extent of the block. According to that the management can be planned.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have a slightly reduced progesteron, suspicion of lack of ovulation. Husband's sperm count low. Any advice? 4 hours later
Hi Dr,
Please explain what u mean by super ovulation.
During one of the ivf dr. said i had water retention in me which he removed with a small tube. He said this was a cyst but it is not a problem for conception. What is your thought please.
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later

Super ovulation means controlled ovarian hyper stimulation. It is a process of inducing a woman to release more than one ovum in a month.
Sometimes this can lead to the development of more number of follicles. Because of this, the poor quality ovum may develop leading to IVF failure.
The condition you mentioned is possibly ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome.
In which ovaries get enlarged due to the filling fluid leaked from the blood vessels due to the effect of ovarian stimulating drugs.
This fluid can form cysts, your doctor might have told regrading this.
Mild form of OHSS can be treated but severe form is XXXXXXX condition.
Sometimes OHSS can repeat, so if you opt for IVF this time better to avoid super ovulation.