Have a severe itchy rash that looks similar to a brown recluse bite. Any idea?

I have a severe rash that looks similar to a brown recluse bite, except in clusters from my left shoulder to my right shoulder. There is no puss but they burst open, bleed & constantly itch.
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Thanks for the health concerns. Many possibilites are in the differential but the main ones are either infectious causes (such as impetigo, tinea corporis, etc) or inflammatory/allergic causes( such as contact dermatitis, ecczema). To avoid unnecessary trials of medication and error, most of the time the best course of action is seeing an experienced dermatology provider, who is also well versed in scarppings of lesions so that these can be sent for microscope analysis and culture, to come to THE specific diagnosis; this is particularly important since you have cardiovascular disease and diabetes, conditions in which you just don't want to "experiment" with trial and error therapies.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN