Have a rubbery, smooth, round lump below collar bone and armpit. Any thoughts?

Critical Care Specialist
Hi - I have a rubbery, smooth, round lump about 2 inches below my collar bone and a couple of inches from my armpit. It is a bit red on the surface. It feels firm - but not really hard. It is somewhat tender. My husband thought it looked like an insect bite - but to me, even though it is visible from the exterior, when pressing on it, it feels like a cyst or something underneath. Thoughts??
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later

Thanks for your question on health care magic.

Based on your description, the swelling that is 2 inches below your clavicle (collar bone) and 2 inches from armpit is localised as upper and outer quadrant breast lump. And so the first possibility is fibroadenoma breast; the second possibility could be could be a lipoma; the third one could be a sebaceous cyst and finally since the swelling is hard and tender it could also be an insect bite with early super added infection.

With an opportunity to look at the lump and examine it, I am sorry I am unable to narrow down the possibility. Hence I suggest you to consult some surgeon. An excision biopsy and histopathology study might be needed if the lumps do not respond to a regular course of antibiotic.

Hope I answered your question. For any further query you’re welcome to write back to me.

Get well soon