Have a round dent on bone muscle. What could be the reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have developed what looks to be a round dent to the front of my XXXXXXX just to the side of the XXXXXXX bone. It does not hurt but looks as though it is growing inwards. This does not change with pressing it and is always visible. I have not hit or damaged this area at all. If I feel it, my fingertip settles into the dent and it feels as though there's a round gap in the tissue etc underneath
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later
I have seen the picture attached. According to your description, what you have might be XXXXXXX splints. XXXXXXX splints usually result from overuse. Repeated movements of the foot can cause damage where the tibialis muscles attach to the tibia. Soon the edge of the muscles may begin to pull away from the bone. The injured muscle and the bone covering (the periosteum) become inflamed.

I advise you to-

1. Take rest. It plays a key role in decreasing pain and inflammation.

2. Stop doing the activity that caused the problem, at least until their symptoms are under control.

3. Apply cold packs and take anti-inflammatory medications like Motrin to calm pain and inflammation if there is any.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have a round dent on bone muscle. What could be the reason? 11 hours later
Is there anything else that could cause this as I have mobility issues due to my arthritis so I cannot exercise n walking is difficult therefore overuse would be unlikely!!

Many thanks

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Even if there is no overuse, mild inflammation at the site of insertion can cause such symptoms. You can use a crepe bandage in the area for relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.