Have a reoccurring welt on the sole of foot. What can be this?

My son has a welt on the sole of his foot that has grown back after being removed the first time by the doctor.
What can be done about this, please?
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 2 hours later

I will try to answer this question to the best of my knowledge.
'Welt' means a hive, or a wheal. Are you sure that this is what the diagnosis was made? Because it is uncommon for it to occur singly and on the sole only. A hive cannot be 'removed 'as well.

From your description, I think it might be a 'wart’. If so, I would like to share some information about the same with you.

A wart is a viral infection occurring on skin. It is caused by inoculation of the virus from the surrounding environment, mostly through unnoticed cuts and injuries. In the soles, it is called a Plantar Wart. It is a very common skin condition, removed by Cryosurgery, Electocautery or Laser.

Please let me know what method was filled exactly for the removal by your doctor. There is nothing to worry about a wart, except that it is recurrent for sometime even after the removal. I think this is what has happened in your son’s case.

If you wish, you can share a picture of the growth which me, so that I can give my opinion on it. You can upload the picture here itself. If not, you can send them to

I will be happy you help you further. Wishing you good health,
Dr.Tanushree Biswas