Have a red lump on shin after a fall. What could it be?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
my 95 yr old father fell on a metal trash can, injuring his shin. He has a lump on his shin and it is red all the way down to his foot. He does not have a fever and it does not hurt if he does not stand on it too long. There is a small cut on the lump, but it is healing and it is not draining.
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Seems to be soft tissue injury Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us From description it seems to be soft tissue injury. Lump on shin might be due to haematoma formation (collection of blood). I would order X-ray to rule out bony injury. Please consider X-ray if it hasn't been done yet. He need to avoid massaging the area and take a mild pain killer for relief. Do a cold compress on the area of injury. The pain and swelling might take over a week to subside. In case there is an acute pain and a sudden increase in swelling then consult physician for a direct examination to rule out any infection in the area. Hope this helps you. If you have any further queries I am happy to answer, if no kindly close the query. Wishing him speedy recovery... Regards.
Follow-up: Have a red lump on shin after a fall. What could it be? 13 hours later
Thank you for your answer. We will follow your advice in this matter.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: I would appreciate your reviews . Detailed Answer: Hi, I am glad to know that I could address your concern. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.