Have a red bump on calf skin. What could it be?

I have a red bump that is larger than a pimple or mosquito bite on my upper calf skin. I have been spending time outdoors lately and I know it is a result from something relating to that but I'm not sure what. It is very itchy and doesn't really hurt that much to touch. It sticks out over the skin and does not appear to have a head to it. Photo attached. Thank you!
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The fact that it is itching implies that it is likely an allergic reaction to a stimulus, likely an insect/animal bite or sting.
The redness and increased size above the other aspects of your skin are due to inflammatory response from the irritant or stimulus.

You likely sustained this during your time outdoors as you suggested.

The usual course of treatment would involve using an oral antihistamine ( the drowsy or older antihistamines are actually stronger than the non drowsy) and the application of a steroid cream.
Mild steroid creams like hydrocortisone can usually be obtained over the counter. These are applied twice daily.

If the allergic response does not decrease or worsens you may want to visit your doctor who may suggest additional medication requiring prescription.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions