Have a problem of vericocele in testis, suggested surgery. Advise?

hii,I have a problem of vericocele in left testis so my doctor suggest me the surgery option but i am still confused whwether go for surgery or for any other option please guide about the same.
Thank you
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surg for large varicocoele only for infertility

Detailed Answer:
You did not mention why your doctor suggested a surgery, but let me assure you that I would recommend surgery for a varicocoele only in patients with documented infertility proven to be due to no other cause other than the varicocoele in question.
This would mean that if you are married, and are anxious to conceive, and you had a semen analysis done which revealed a poor sperm count with or without other abnormal parameters such as morphology and motility, and an ultrasound scan has revealed a grade II+ varicocoele, you might be a candidate for surgery, provided you understand that the surgery needs to be done by an expert in microsurgery,(i.e. he is using a microscope for the surgery to preserve testicular artery, and not just some magnifying loupes), and even in expert hands, the results are an improvement in sperm parameters in only about 60% of patients, and actual couples conceiving after surgery is about 40-50% within one year. You might have pain following surgery (which is usually mild) for about 2-3 months. I would not recommend surgery for varicocoele for any other indication such as pain or swelling in a 28 year old male, as these are known to persist after the operation.
Hope I have been able to help you. This operation is never an emergency, so please take time to take an informed decision