Have a problem of frequent urination. Urine test and blood sugar are normal. What could be the reason?

I have a problem of frequent urination, 15-20 times a day. No burning sensation or pain etc. though. Take approx. 3 lit. water a day. What may be the problems? Routine urine check up is normal but RBC 0-1/ Ml. Blood sugar is normal. What should i do? what may be the possible reasons?
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi there
Thank you for sending in your query.

Increasing frequency of passing urine could be due to two groups of medical conditions:
1) Increase in the volume of urine produced in a day. This is called as polyuria.
2) Some bladder problem which makes it irritable and person feels like passing urine even if the bladder is not full to its capacity.

The way to distinguish between the two is a frequency-volume chart. It means you keep a diary for 24 hours and document the volume of urine and the time, each time you pass urine.

Based on the results we can determine if you have problem belongs to group 1 or group 2 above.

If it is polyuria (group 1) we need to check urine osmolality and other tests.
If it is frequent small volumes of urine then we need to a bladder test called urodynamic study.

We have appropriate treatments for both conditions.

Your urine report is OK. Only thing is specific gravity is low. So my feeling is that you may well have polyuria.

I hope this was helpful.
I will be happy to answer any other questions which you may have.
Dr. Bhabhe
Follow-up: Have a problem of frequent urination. Urine test and blood sugar are normal. What could be the reason? 2 hours later
Thanks for a very informative reply. I am slightly concerned about the RBC in the urine. Is is normal or is it something to worry about. I would also like to give you one more information. Some times i feel fatigue in penis after masturbating and urge to urinate increases.
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

The presence of 0-1 RBCs/hpf is considered normal. So I would not worry about it.
I do not think there is any correlation between your urinary symptoms and masturbation.

Dr. Bhabhe