Have a positive RA and CRP was high. Was diagnosed with Hashimotos. Can these be related?

Question
I have a positive RA and XXXXXXX test and my CRP is 89. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos over 10 years ago. Can Hashimotos cause theses abnormal results?
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 11 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for choosing us.

Hashimoto's can cause a positive XXXXXXX and a raised CRP, but RA is usually not positive in Hashimotos. Do you have any symptoms like tender, warm swollen joints, morning stiffness, weight loss, fatigue, fever, etc?

RA is usually positive in conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, systemic sclerosis, acute or chronic viral infections, infectious mononucleosis, etc.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Have a positive RA and CRP was high. Was diagnosed with Hashimotos. Can these be related? 17 days later
Thanks for your response! The only problem I have been having is joint pain in my right hip usually caused by driving. I do have fatigue but I work long hours. I had Hodgkins Lymphoma 13 years ago. I just received results from blood work.
C3= 130, C4=33, Ch50=>60
Anticardiolip Ab, IgA/G?M, Qn = <9
Antiicardiolipin Ab, IgM, QN = 14
RNP Antibodies = 3.0 XXXXXXX Antibodies = <.02
Sjo ANti-SS-A and Anti SS-B = <.02
ANti-DNA (DS) Ab Qn =6
CCP Anti IgG/IgA = 6
Sed Rate = 9
CRP, Quant= 1.1...it was 89 a few weeks ago
Antinuclear Anti, IFA
homogeneous pattern 1:640 & speckled pattern1:640
Again I have Hashimotos and my TSH levels are normal....is this lupus or result of my Hashimotos

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Hello once again.

I have gone through all your test results, and shall interpret them for you one by one for your better understanding.

Starting with your query about this being lupus (SLE), we shall first rule out/diagnose that with its most sensitive and specific antibodies:
-Anti-Smith antibody is NORMAL in your result ( most specific test for SLE)
-Anti- (ds) DNA antibody is NORMAL (investigation of choice for SLE)
-Anti-cardiolipin antibody IgA and IgM is NORMAL (is also high in patients having SLE, and if high normally indicates the involvement of the heart with a condition called endocarditis)
-RNP antibody is POSITIVE (high) in your result. This is not a specific marker of any disease, but when it is high, and markers like anti-smith and anti (ds) DNA are normal, it indicates -- MIXED CONNECTIVE TISSUE DISEASE
-Anti-SSA and Anti-SSB are NORMAL
-Anti-CCP is NORMAL (is high in presence of Rheumatoid arthritis)
-ANA (IFA) is POSITIVE (at the value you have the conditions suggestive are: SLE, mixed connective tissue disease, drug-induced lupus, scleroderma or Sjorgens syndrome). Out of these conditions, your results have returned positive only for mixed connective tissue disease(MTCD).

This condition combines various symptoms and features of other connective tissue diseases and commonly has symptoms like:
-Joint pain
-Weakness
-Muscle swelling
-Thickening of skin of the pad of fingers (sclerodactyly)
-Discoloration of fingers (due to circulatory problems) -- Raynaud's phenomenon
-Generalized dryness
Treatment is usually with corticosteroids.

Please re-visit your doctor to further investigate this condition. But, as per the reports SLE is ruled out.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
You are most welcome.

I am always available for any health related queries. You can contact me anytime in the future at: WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Have a positive RA and CRP was high. Was diagnosed with Hashimotos. Can these be related? 0 minute later
Thank you!