Have a persistent need of clearing throat. Underlying cause?

ENT Specialist
I have a persitent clearing of my throat. been going on for many monthe. No phlegm, just a constant need to clear my throat.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 49 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The possible causes for frequent clearing of the throat are:
a. Acid reflux: LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux) has no chest related symptoms, unlike GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).
b. Lymphoid hypertrophy in the throat: Including Granular Pharyngitis, hypertrophy of the lingual tonsils and allergy.
c. Dryness in the throat: Mouth breathing due to snoring / Sleep Apnea, decreased salivation (age related).
d. A post nasal drip: less likely due to absence of phlegm.

2. Get a Videolaryngoscopy done. It will help decide further treatment. Do you have any cough?

3. You may also get a Sleep Study done. Weight loss will help.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.