Have a patch just above finger. Diagnosed with psoriasis. What medication should I take?

Jul 2012

I have a patch just above my little finger on my left hand, I consulted 1 yr back and doctors told me its proasis, the patch is still there and skin goes off and come again on that place very often. Let me know the medicine for the same.
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Psoriasis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
Apologies as am busy at work. I read your history. Can you please give me some more details about your skin rash?. Also could you please take a clear photograph of some of the lesions & using the 'upload data' icon, upload it here on this site?
How was psoriasis diagnosed? Was there a skin biopsy taken?
What medicines/creams/tabs (names & dosages please) have you taken this far?
Please revert with all this information & will be happy to give you an opinion then on what medication would best suit you.
Await your response.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD XXXXXXX Hospital
Bangalore, India
Follow-up: Have a patch just above finger. Diagnosed with psoriasis. What medication should I take? 10 minutes later
Hi Doc!,

I have attached a pic of the patch. I have been ignorant about this patch and have been applying some petroleum jelly over it whenever it becomes dry.

I remember using only one medicine name sorian ointment (I guess ayuvedic), apart from this there was no skin biopsy taken and Doctor just by seeing concluded that its as a case of Psoriasis. He gave an ointment(steroid) as well and ask me to apply only for few days but I didn't buy that because of my ignorance.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there again XXXXXXX
they do say 'ignorance is bliss'...perhaps true in your case. The photograph you sent across does not look like psoriasis in my august opinion. It does appear like a chronic lichenified plaque. A skin biopsy is what i would recommend as it is long standing & not in an area prone to friction & could be some underlying chronic granulomatous infection...hence the biopsy confirming one way or the other. If you tell me which part of the world you are from, would be happy to recommend a dermatologist to do the biopsy or you couldpick one from this XXXXXXX doctors' list.
Good luck. Should you decide to try an ointment without any skin biopsy, i recommend one with betamethasone & salicylic acid combination applied twice/daily for 2 weeks & evaluate. However, once you do this, then a skin biopsy may not be of much use as it will mask the underlying disease process.
I do hope i have made myself clear. Do a skin Biopsy & then go in for some definitive treatment that depending on the outcome, may even be an intralesional corticosteroid injection or long term antibiotic medication!
However, nothing to worry about. But dont sit & wait..get it done.
Best of luck & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Follow-up: Have a patch just above finger. Diagnosed with psoriasis. What medication should I take? 4 days later

I am from bangalore, please recommend a place where I can go for skin biopsy and how much it will cost?

Hi there XXXXXXX
It seems a coincidence i am from Blore as well. When we pick to answer a query, that is not always apparent unless the patient says so. I would be happy to do this skin biopsy & prefer to do it in my base hospital practice ie at the XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore. This is off XXXXXXX road next to the XXXXXXX showroom. However, it all depends on which area you are from in Blore as traffic nowadays understandably is a hinderance to most. Also, it should/would have to be at a time convenient to you. Costs would vary on the size of the biopsy taken & can vary with the centre/pathology dept. I would be happy to discuss this with you should you care to call & fix an appointment. My mobile # is 0000. Pls call anytime tween 10am-5pm. I would appreciate closing this query in the interim if done with it on this portal. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD