Have a pain in neck and arms. Cannot lift arm. What could be the cause?

Dec 2012

i have a pain in my neck on the right hand side i also have a pain in my right arm i cannot lift my arm on the right hand side it feels like i have not much power lifting my arm
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

I am Dr. Nsah and I am pleased to be able to answer your question.

Neck pain (which is usually associated to a shoulder pain and radiate to the arms depending on the level of severity) could be as a result of one of a vast number of causes. I will try an present a few (and especially with your age).

Causes of neck pain include:
- Abnormalities in the bone or joints: inflammation of bone/joins or osteoarthritis
- Trauma: unlikely since you did not mention, but a lot of neck, shoulder or arm straining could result of an injury
- Poor posture: usually stems out a few days after a poor posture, but if your condition has been there for that possibility could be ruled out, you could try a good bed/orthopedic mattress
- Degenerative diseases: they are a wide range of them such as fibromyalgia
- Tumors: unlikely as there should normally be an obvious local swelling around the neck region (but it is possible for swelling to be invisible). Also tumors could arise from other organ structures such as metastatic cancers.
- Muscle strain: very likely as wear and tear often occurs as one is aging.

Now, since I am unable to examine you myself, I suggest you see a doctor who can review, request laboratory exams and provide you with appropriate treatment. You will likely require some pain killers such as ibuprofen, diclofenac, prednisone etc which could give temporary or permanent relief from pain.

Hope this answers your question and if you have any other questions, please do let me know.