Have a movable lump behind knee. Test showed no DVT and no popliteal cyst. What's the problem?

Jul 2012

hi i have a lump behind my knee, small one on L and larger on R, feels like a slighlty movable node.
had a bilat doppler study done and impression was no DVT, no popliteal cyst.
was read by vascular surgeon, im assuming if there was a mass or anything unusual he would have included that in really scanned area well while DVT hunting. if there was an unusual echo or however they read would have been mentioned, i assume? i am thinking this is normal tissue and perhaps fat or herniated muscle since no mention of anything else. OR does "no evidence of Bakers cyst" mean get more tests? wouldnt the md have to mention unusual looking tissue even if he was vascular MD focused on DVT, he is capable of noting a lesion or mass right?
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later

Relax. I do empathize with your situation & concern given there are masses or growths in your knee region. But, going by the scan reports, you seem to have the 'All clear'! Celebrate!

It is possibly a 'soft tissue' or superficial skin lesion & hence my intervention as a dermatologist. As you rightly pointed out, it is probably some 'fat herniation' or 'lipomas' or some secondary lymph nodes arising because of a more distal mild infection.

In any case, please do visit your primary care physician for an opinion & 'visual assessment' as these may need to be re-evaluated & excised but I would envisage it being purely a 'cosmetic' procedure & while it may set you back a few dollars, being a woman, it may be 'aesthetically' advised!

Good luck & hope this answers your query & puts your mind at rest.

Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Dr XXXXXXX Rodrigues MD Bangalore, India