Have a loose bowel movement after eating. Underlying cause?

General Surgeon
Question
I sometimes have a loose bowel movement after eating it does not happen everyday and I am at a loss to understand the cause
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Large intestine tumor should be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such strange for you symptom can be caused by chronic bacterial infection of intestines, food intolerance or allergies, gastrointestinal tumors including large intestine tumor, hyperthyroidism, chronic alcohol consumption, pancreas inflammation.
As you can see this is quite non specific symptom and its hard to predict exact reason.

However, as you are over the age of 50, colon cancer should be ruled out at first. Its because over 50 the risk of colon cancer significantly rises. Every person over 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years or FOBT (fecal occult blood test) every year.
With colon cancer other possible symptoms you may have are weight loss, abdominal pain, bloating, blood in stool, however your loose stools can be the only symptom.

Quite common reason of loose stools is bacterial infection. It is possible especially if you have had antibiotics therapy before the symptoms has started.

If the stools are loose only after specific foods, its intolerance or allergy is possible as well.

If you have been using alcohol for some time chronic pancreatitis should be also considered. With this condition, stool usually are bad smelling and floating.

I suggest you to:
- visit your doctor, have blood work, thyroid tests, amylase, lipase, stool test, stool culture test and get scheduled for colonoscopy
- if all this tests will be negative, try to eliminate suspicious products if food allergy seems possible
- in case of chronic bowels infection you should try Rifaximine treatment
- probiotic intake is also advisable

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have a loose bowel movement after eating. Underlying cause? 2 hours later
I have had a high liver reading 4 times normal due to alcohol consumption it has returned to normal after 2 months which my doctor said happened quickly
Is my liver now normal and will it have been weakened,also what supplements
help to protect the liver

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your liver wont be weakened.

Detailed Answer:
Liver has a great ability to regenerate. Most of the liver damages (except liver cirrhosis) are reversible. Please imagine that even half of healthy liver (after surgical removal) is still enough for proper function. So if you have stopped alcohol consumption, your liver should get back to normal state and no further weakening should be present.
The best you can do for your liver is to improve your diet. You should avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, have fried foods in reasonable amounts. Alcohol can be taken but in small dosages and not regularly.
Ornithine containing supplements can be helpful to protect liver.

Hope this will help.
Regards.