Have a lingering infection, started as sore throat and now in sinus area,. blocking sinus passages. Prescribed bactrium

ENT Specialist
I have a lingering infection (3 weeks) that started as sore throat (week 1), migrated to lungs(week 2) and is now in sinus area (week 3), total blocking sinus passages. The one constant has been slight mucousy discharge from eye in morning, primaily left eye...nothing excessive, buts still persistent. Finally gave in and called my doctor, who prescribed Bactrim ds, was wondering difference between that and zithromax, which few other friends are taking (seem to be alot of colds/infections going around)
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Request your physician to add a decongestant and mucolytic. Start regular steam inhalation.

2. The discharge in the eye may be due to nasal obstruction. An eye examination, a nasal endocopy and a Sinus X-ray or CT will help check for sinusitis and infections of the lacrimal apparatus.

3. Bactrim DS (Trimetoprim and Sulfamethoxazole) is a time tested antibiotic and if you have started it, you may continue with the course. Azithromycin is a newer antibiotic with the convenience of once a day dosing. Both are good antibiotics.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.