Have a large, hard knot behind ear directly on mastoid bone and fever. Concerned

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. I have a large, hard knot behind my right ear directly on my mastoid bone. I first noticed it 2 weeks ago. The knot is hard and does not move. I'm having *alot* of pressure and pain there, and today i started running a fever. I have hives all over my arms, but the Atarax my doctor put me on seems to help them. It feels as if my head is in a vice grip, constantly. Since this started, my right hand keeps going numb, as well as my upper and bottom lip on the right side. It feels like a very large person is standing on the right side of my head behind my ear. Is this cause for concern? Because I am extremely concerned about it.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A large hard painful knot behind your ear could be a swollen lymph node or an infection like abscess or an infected sebaceous gland.
For the confirmation of diagnosis, you need to get this lump examined from a doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.
Till then, you get this lump examined from a doctor, apply warm compresses on the lump because if it is a swollen lymph node or boil then application of warm compresses will help.
You will need systemic antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs to take care of the infection.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.