Have a itchy rash on thigh, which looks like hives. Could it be flea bites?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I have a rash on my right outer thigh have it about a week it looks like hives an gets itchy on an off
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
An itchy rash with hives could be due to a flea bite or allergic dermatitis. It can result from contact with an agent or chemical that provokes an allergic response such as a new cream, lotion, soap or detergent. It usually forms small red ' bumps' or papules that are itchy.
Most tick bites are probably harmless and may cause no problems.

Swelling and itching seems to be inflammatory in nature. This can be relieved by a mild pain killer like ibuprofen and an anti allergic like Cetrizine. You can apply medicated calamine lotion on it for relief.

Refrain from scratching because this may cause the skin to break down and an infection to form.

You might consult a doctor or visit the nearest ER for an examination and appropriate treatment in case it worsens.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have a itchy rash on thigh, which looks like hives. Could it be flea bites? 8 hours later
How do I know the difference between an allergic reaction an a flea bite if it was an allergy why would it be on just my right thigh. I stayed in a hotel in Dublin last wk on the Monday night for my work an the rash started in the Tuesday I did use the shower gel there but I change shower gels all the time so I don't think it's that. The bed in the hotel appeared clean but that it my reason for askn about flea bites could I have brought them back to my own house
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since you have a localized lesion, a flea bite is more likely rather than allergy. The chances of bringing it to your house are however remote. A direct examination by a dermatologist will help in proper differentiation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.