Have a high heart rate. Will taking atavan be helpful in reducing heartbeat?

I am taking a physical for a new job tomorrow. My heart rate has to be below 100. My resting hb is about 97 and if I walk around it is over 100. If I go in tomorrow and my heart rate is over 100 I will not pass and I will not get the job. I have have a prescription for Atavan, will that lower my heart rate?
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 15 minutes later

thanks for your health concerns. If anxiety is the main reason why your heart rate goes up at rest, then lorazepam may help since it blocks anxious responses; however, the effect is not completely predictable. Many times, in patients that have performance anxiety including stage fright what we prescribe is a non specific short acting beta blocker called propranolol which acts directly at the level of the heart and reduces heart rate. you may discuss that option with your prescribing physician

yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN