Have a hard painful bump on butt and started bleeding. What is going on?

i have a hard painful bump on my butt and it just now started bleeding what is going on?
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

I would like to know some more details on your condition to understand better and opine specifically.

Do you have history of insect bite or trauma at the site of the lesion?
Is the lesion filled with pus?
Did it start bleeding on its own?
Do you have fever?
Are you on any medications?

If possible please do attach an image of the lesion here, which helps me to narrow down the possibilities.

Waiting for your response...

Follow-up: Have a hard painful bump on butt and started bleeding. What is going on? 5 hours later
The bump started bleeding on its own , i'm on enapril for my kidney disease . i've gotten bug bites in the summer none of the bites bled. the bites just itch. I didn't have a fever and the bump didn't have pus. I also take calcium pills and vitamin d pills.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 days later

Most likely this bump on the butt is independent of the kidney disease. All the bumps on the bump need to be investigated for fissure, hemorrhoids and fistula. If this is related only to the skin then it needs oral antibiotics as it most likely be a folliculitis ( hair follicle inflammation).

It is better to get examined to find out the most likely cause. In all of the above situations you would not have temperature. The cost effective way is to try to apply over the counter antibiotic cream for three days and observe. Else it should certainly take you to the doctor.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Have a hard painful bump on butt and started bleeding. What is going on? 7 minutes later
Then after it bled it started pusing. I put warm.compresses on it. The pain went away. What antibiotic cream do you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 23 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I would suggest that you let the pus drain. Putting warm compresses is a good idea. It helps drain the pus. In addition, you can put Triple Antibiotic cream which will help. Also, wash your hands every time you touch the bump. Scrupulous hand washing and personal hygiene is key to preventing such things again
Hope that helps