Have a hard lump on the centre of chest in between pectoral muscles. What to do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have a hard lump on the centre of my chest in between my pectoral mucles
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Chest lumps can be caused by any number of conditions, including infections, inflammation, tumors or trauma.
In order to comment on the most probable diagnosis I would like to know a detailed history of onset, duration and progress of the lump as follows ;
What is it's dimension and fixity( mobile or fixed to skin or underlying tissue)
How long have you had the chest lump?
Are you experiencing any other symptoms along with the chest lump?
Is the lump getting bigger?
Is the lump painful?
Do you have lumps elsewhere on your body?
As per the information provided by you if the lump is central, non progressive but persistent and hard it's more likely to be either a tumor or a musculoskeletal lesion( hematoma or bony outgrowth etc)
In any case it's best to get it evaluated by a doctor ( surgeon) who after thorough examination and tests like X-ray , blood counts, aspiration or biopsy of lump etc can confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate management .
Without this a confirmation of diagnosis is not possible hence to be on the safer side it's advisable to get any chest lump thoroughly investigated.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.