Have a hard grape size external hemorrhoid which is increasing in size. Not over weight. How to get cure completely?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi there,
I am currently out at sea (on an oil rig) and have an embarrassing medical condition that I'm worried about. I have a hard grape size external hemorrhoid. I really noticed it 4 or 5 days ago after spending 45 mins on an excercise bike and doing some pull ups. It was very sore for 48 hours. The pain has eased somewhat however it hasn't reduced in size at all and it's certainly still uncomfortable and the is still some pain. There is a medic onboard who gave me some cream (proctosedyl) which I have been applying. I am due to be out he for one more week and I'm hoping this delay to get to see a doctor won't harm it any further. Will this thing right itself? Can anything be done in the mean time?
I've been eating a high fibre diet, drinking lots of water and today I have started taking some aspirin to see if this can thin the blood and help remove it. My main stress is that it doesn't seem to be reducing in size. Is that normal?
Ay advice and informatin to help put my mind at rest would be greatly appreciated.
Oh and this is my first hem of this type. I think I have had very minor ones before how've I have just ignored them and them have disappeared after a day or so. This is the first one to have caused me any issues. I have never been to a doc with this problem. I am not overweight (73kg) and generally eat a good diet.
Many thanks
XXXXXXX
Ps is it ok to exercise. I'm wondering if running on a treadmill will help or hinder
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 15 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

I presume that the medic on board confirmed it as external hemorrhoid. Because there are few closely mimicking conditions like a sentinel pile of fissure, a perianal abscess, a skin tag, genital wart etc.. Of these only the abscess needs to be treated immediately. However,since you are not having pain now, it is unlikely to be an abscess.
Proctosedyl he has prescribed is appropriate.
You can wait for a week before you XXXXXXX your physician.
Exercise/running on a treadmill will not affect it.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have a hard grape size external hemorrhoid which is increasing in size. Not over weight. How to get cure completely? 29 minutes later
Many thanks for your prompt response.
The medic didn't physically examine so I suppose the other things can't be rules out. He did ask lots of questions and concluded it was indeed a hemorrhoid.

One last thing, do these generally go away on their own or do they need intervention? The reason I ask is that I live abroad and don't really have a physician. Normally will this thing right itself?

Many thanks

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 hours later
Milder grades of hemorrhoids and fissure will resolve on their own if bowel movements are normal. Other possible causes which I have mentioned need intervention.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini