Ask a Urologist   »  

Have a hard foreskin which goes back with some effort when not erect. What needs to be done?

Good

Psychiatrist
Question
I am 36. I have a hard foreskin which goes back with some effort when not erect. However during erection it just goes only a few cm down.
Yesterday while bathing I was cleaning with normal water and the foreskin slid back. While the foreskin was back I had an erection resulting in the foreskin not retracting. Over the evening and night have seen that there has been inflation due too the constriction.

Please advise what needs to be done at this juncture. Should I use an anti inflamatory cream, if so, please advise.

XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
The information that you have provided along with the photographs that you have provided are quite elaborate and useful.
However there are a few more things that I want you to clarify so that I can be in a better position to answer your query.
1) Is it the first time that the foreskin has retracted across the glans (the front bulby portion of penis)
2) Is the condition painful. If yes then is the pain in the foreskin or in the glans penis?
3) How long has it been so?

Such information would be very useful for me to help you in a better way.
Thanks and regards,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Psychiatrist and sexologist

Follow-up: Have a hard foreskin which goes back with some effort when not erect. What needs to be done? 26 minutes later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Please see my response in line

1) Is it the first time that the foreskin has retracted across the glans (the front bulby portion of penis) - It is the first time that suchs swelling has occured. Earlier as well it had retracted across the glans however on cesation of erection the fore skin used to retract. This time I masterbuted when the fore skin was behind the glans and on erection the swelling occured thus not goind back to its position.

2) Is the condition painful. If yes then is the pain in the foreskin or in the glans penis? - It is a little painful also perhaps of the glans being exposed and sensetive to touch. The pain is in the foreskin, though the glans is also little sensetive due to perhaps the constiction of flow of blood.

3) How long has it been so? It been since yesterday (15th Mar 13) afternoon.

Regards XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 54 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for your prompt clarifications.

From the description that you have given, it appears that you had a condition called Phimosis - wherein the prepuce doesn't retract properly over the glans. And now the condition you are having is called Para-phimosis - wherein the prepuce retracts across the glans but cannot be re positioned.
The same can be managed at home by compressing the glans for 4-5 min so that the swelling of glans reduce and then pulling the prepuce over the glans gradually. However in your case as lot of time has lapsed, it wont be wise to wait any more. You should immediately show yourself to a surgeon/uro-surgeon who may try to manipulate himself and see if it can be re positioned. If not then, a circumcision surgery has to be planned in emergency. Even if it is re positioned, a circumcision should be planned.
Please don't waste any more time and do visit a surgeon as soon as possible. Its not a panicky situation but then yes it is urgent. No anti-inflammatory cream can help you.
Hope I am able to help you.
If you have any further question, I will be more than happy to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
Wish you good health.
Dr.Srikanth Reddy MD
Psychiatrist and Sexologist