Have a hard cyst like pimple near scrotum also have lump under belly button. What is it?

Hello Dr. Thank you for answering my previous questions. I have a hard cyst like pimple forming where my left inner groin meets my scrotum. It has been there for about 3 days. Yesterday I went on a 2 mile run in which I wore spandex shorts under my athletic shorts and I used Vaseline in the creases of my groin to reduce friction. When I woke up this morning I noticed the lump was still there, and it looked like some of the skin was peeling in the same area as the lump. I also have a lump under my belly button, and the waistband of my underwear sits on top of it. I am 6ft 1 inch tall and I weigh 157 lbs I know you have addressed the issues before, but I am kind of embarrassed to see a doctor about it. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 hours later
Hi, I apologise for the delay in answering your question, thanks for using healthcare magic again

Based on your present description it is possible that the lumps are due to inflammation/infection of the hair follicles which can sometimes extend into surrounding tissues.The initial infection is called folliculitis, if it extends it is called a carbuncle.

It sounds as though it is not extended , and this does not occur in most cases.

At this stage you can try applying warm compresses for 10 to 15 minutes, 2 to 3 times a day. This would encourage blood flow to the area and would cause any discharge present to break down so that it drains.

You can also consider cleaning the surrounding area with anti bacterial soaps or solutions such as dilute hydrogen peroxide, chlorhexidine or alcohol. These can be obtained over the counter.
The application of a topical antibiotic would also be helpful. Mupirocin is particularly helpful in treating the bacteria most commonly associated with these infections. You may also be able to obtain this without a prescription.

Some persons are carriers of stap aureus which is the bacteria that may be causing these infections. In this case the use of mupirocin in the nose may actually eliminate this state. This nasal treatment is used for carriers but to find out if this is the case a doctor would need to do a swab.

I know that you state that you are uncomfortable with seeing your doctor but if your lesions do not improve within 48 to 72 hours then it is possible that you may need oral antibiotics which would need to be prescribed by your doctor.

I hope this helps,please feel free to ask any additional questions