Have a hard, crusty, white eruption on scalp. What type of specialist should I contact?

I have a hard crusty white eruption on my scalp (looks kind of like a calcium deposit). This has appeared in the last couple of weeks and appears to be increasing in size. Is there a reason to be concerned and if so, what type of specialist would I need to contact?
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Thanks for the question. It is difficult to provide a specific diagnosis without looking at the lesion, but based on the short description, the most common causes would be a fungal infection such as pitiriasis, tinea capitis, seborrheic dermatitis, or from non infectious causes psoriasis, lichen, seborreic keratosis discoid lupus.

The best person to take a look at that, since they have the ability to obtain a punch biopsy if needed, would be the dermatologists.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN