Have a growth under arm, connected by a piece of skin,grown to size of pea. Is it a skin tag?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
i have a growth under my arm- it is connected by a very small piece of skin to my underarm and is about a pea in size. It has gradually grown to this size.

i was wondering if it is a skin tag and if i can simply tie a string round it to cause it to fall off or if there is a better way/
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 15 minutes later
H and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

It sounds like benign, polypoid skin fibroma and it is typically found in this area. If this isn't pigmented and there is no inflammatory signs( redness, pus,swelling,pain ) around it, you don't have to be concerned.
You can attach photo and it would be easier for me to evaluate this.

Only if it has tiny peduncle it can be managed by tying a string, but I suggest to find surgical sterile suture for it. It can get infected or bleed so if this is painful during the manipulation or there is wide peduncle you should visit surgeon /dermatologist and do removal under local anesthesia.

Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.

Follow-up: Have a growth under arm, connected by a piece of skin,grown to size of pea. Is it a skin tag? 47 minutes later
i have uploaded a picture is your advice the same?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 32 minutes later

Yes. I cant see the base clearly but this is acrochordon or how you call it "skin tag".

It is better to remove as i said, since clothes often can rub it and cause pain and irritation. Everything I said stays the same. Wish you good health.