Have a growing bruise on thumb. Should I see a doctor or just wait for it to heal?

I have a growing bruise on my thumb. Should I see a doctor or just wait for it to heal?
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 5 hours later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

First thing to do is find out whether the bruise occured due to trauma or it happened spontaneously. If it has occured due to trauma, leave it alone, it should fade away in a couple of days to 2 weeks time.If the bruise feels firm or tender to touch or increasing in size, there might be a hematoma , which might need to be drained by your doctor.

However , if the bruise appeared spontaneously without any cause, you will need to XXXXXXX your doctor, who might advise you to get a couple of blood investigations like platelet count, bleeding time, clotting time, prothrombin time PT/INR, Liver function test etc.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan
Follow-up: Have a growing bruise on thumb. Should I see a doctor or just wait for it to heal? 1 hour later
As I cannot remember anything particular that could have caused the initial bruise, I would have to say that it appeared spontaneously. How urgent is it to see a doctor? Tomorrow or can it wait until Monday? I actually had a blood test done a few weeks ago, and the results were all good except for cholesterol which I have now under control ( diet & 5 mg crestor daily). What could cause this growing bruise?
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 53 minutes later

In the absence of tenderness, pain etc, it can wait till Monday. However, at any time if you notice the bruise to further increase in size, if it is accompanied by pain and tenderness, please visit the emergency room immediately.

A growing bruise definitely needs to be evaluated. As I said there are many conditions mentioned above. However , I would advise you not be anxious about it. Hopefully there was no insect / spider bite as a cause for the bruise.

For all you know, it might just be due to hitting your hand somewhere and not being aware of it.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
Follow-up: Have a growing bruise on thumb. Should I see a doctor or just wait for it to heal? 22 minutes later
There are no 'bite marks' from any insect visible. The bruise is still spreading, very slowly, and is not painful, just a little tender.
You didn't mention any causes, just several tests that would have to be performed. You probably do not want to speculate, but I would like to have some suggestions. And no, I did not hit my hand!
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 8 hours later
Sorry. You are right. I was meaning to mention the possible causes in the first reply, somehow missed it.

The possible causes of bruising could be anything ranging from

Platelet disorders,
Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura
Liver disease,
Defeciency of Vit K,
Drugs like aspirin,warfarin,steroids,
Vitamin C defeciency,
Malignancy etc.