Have a foot injury, there is swelling and pain near ankle. What can be done?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have a foot injury.
I got slipped from stairs. There is swelling near my ankle.There is a pain.
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
An injury to the ankle with pain and swelling can be due to a formation of a hematoma in the muscle or any hair line fracture. For this it is important to get an x-ray foot and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.

I suggest you to apply cold compresses on your ankle and foot by wrapping ice in a towel and take some like Ibuprofen or Tylenol after prescription from your doctor. You can also apply flexall/ crepe bandage to the area. You can also follow certain lifestyle measures which can help you with this pain. These include:

1) Give complete rest to the affected part.

2) Avoid bearing weight on the limb(standing, walking, etc.)

3) You may use a walker to avoid putting a direct pressure on the limb.
Do not rub any ointment like iodex on the area as it may increase the XXXXXXX bleeding. Do consult an orthopedician for a direct examination and proper diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Have a foot injury, there is swelling and pain near ankle. What can be done? 18 hours later
Thanks for your sincere advice.
I visited a orthopedician. He analysed my foot. It's an Ankle Sprain.
He adviced me RICE therapy.
I have some queries:
1) How much time a day do i need to wear an ankle binder? Even during night while sleeping?
2) Should i start with the ankle strengthning exercises simultaneously or should I start after few days i.e fifteen days or so?

Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You need to wear the ankle binder throughout the day. You can remove it while resting or sleeping.
Ankle strengthening exercises are not recommended till there is an acute pain. You need to wait for at least two weeks before starting these.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Have a foot injury, there is swelling and pain near ankle. What can be done? 24 minutes later
ok.
I have noticed that after wearing ankle binder, some nerve is stretched (sometimes below the foot and sometimes thru thumb toe) . Is that the expected result?
Or should I tie binder a bit loose to avoid that?

Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
It is best to tie the binder a bit loose to avoid any nerve stretching. It should be comfortable for you and not painful. The binder is to provide a support to the injured ankle and to reduce the pain while weight bearing on the foot. Avoid all painful activities for proper and early healing.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Please recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards

Follow-up: Have a foot injury, there is swelling and pain near ankle. What can be done? 9 minutes later
Thanks :)

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 15 minutes later
You are welcome.
I am glad I could help.