Have a fish bone stuck in throat, moving when swallow. Advise what to do?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi Dr Grief, I have a fishbone stuck in my throat I can feel it moving when I swallow, is there any way of getting out apart from going to the doctor. if I go to the doc to do they have to put me to sleep to take it out or are there other the methods the can use. I am on my way to work and it is so uncomfortable can you please advise me as to what to do. Thanks
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 43 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

most of stucked fishbones pass spontaneously and no medical treatment is necessary. In some cases few remedies may help. Try to swallow mildly salty water and eat piece of bread right after it. Also bananas, peanut bitter,boiled rice and marshmallows can be helpful. If all this isn't effective you need ent examination. This is usually done under topical anaesthesia and you don't have to sleep unless the fishbone is deep in trachea or esophagus.

wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Have a fish bone stuck in throat, moving when swallow. Advise what to do? 7 hours later
Thanks for u help. I when to ER 6 hrs ago ,a scan was done but nothing was found. I still fell something sticking me in my throat. Do u think i should go back to the ER and reguest further examination cause the discomfort is there. I did swollow bread but it did not help. What should i do ? i am so afraid.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 5 hours later

nothing serious can happen so you don't have to be concerned. This is usually dissolved by saliva enzymes and you just need to be patient. Maybe there is no fishbone, you might feel just damage of throat wall which was caused by fishbone and it will heal spontaneously in 1-2 days. If you don't have breathing difficulties and you can swallow normally then you don't have to visit doctors. If there is just pain you can take septoletes or similar tablets for it. it will be fine for sure.