Have a femoral hernia which was not seen in a CT scan. Is this possible?

General Surgeon
Hi, I have a femoral hernia which was not seen in a ct scan, is this possible or did my hernia go away overnight
Also I've been told its a reducible femoral hernia and it should not cause pain but if I had not had the pain I would have not known there was a hernia in the first place. I am suddenly experiencing other symptoms like urinalysis tract infection and pain that radiates to my labia ( throbbing). Is this common?
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Yes, it is possible for the hernia to be invisible in the CT. When doing this test, you are lying down. When lying down, the pressure in the abdominal cavity is lower than when standing so the hernia could hide in the abdomen.
Hernia is usually more visible when standing and coughing or lifting heavy objects. This is because during this activities, the pressure in the abdominal cavity rises and pushes out the hernia.

There is always a risk of hernia stuck. In such case strong pain in the groin, hard lump will appear. Nausea, vomiting, bloated abdomen and other symptoms of bowels obstruction can also appear. This symptoms, if ever appear, should force you to visit ER right away.

It is advisable at your case to do not wait for such urgent situation. It is much more safe to get scheduled for a surgery of this hernia and eliminate the risk of serious complication.

Pain in the groin can be caused by your hernia. reason and has nothing to do with the hernia. If you have urinary tract infection diagnosed, proper treatment (antibiotics) should be prescribed. This should ease the symptoms. If not, hernia is the reason of your pain.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Have a femoral hernia which was not seen in a CT scan. Is this possible? 10 minutes later
I am normally healthy and this pain started about a week ago. When I had ultrasound it showed a femoral hernia. Because my pain was unbearable I decided to go to hospital and was given morphine for pain relief. Been told to only come back if it blue or purple in colour. Today I took the morphine and my pain has decreased a little bit. I am worried tho as this is so sudden and a lot of different symptoms seem to be hitting me at once. If I were to rate my pain it has been 8 out 10 in the last week til today in the last 4 hours I've been able to reduce it down to a 5 out of 10. Can hernia pain come and go like this or am I still under the effect if morphine?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Morphine is not a good idea in gastrointestinal pain treatment. It causes smooth muscles spasm and constipation. Both can have very negative effect on intestines especially if there is some problem.
You are expecting quite strong pain. I`m quite surprised that you are left with it alone.
Your hernia could get stuck and be the main source of such strong pain. Due to morphine intake, proper diagnose can be delayed. And hernia stuck in some cases causes intestine necrosis what is life threatening. And the pain can come and go due to morphine effect.
If you have any lump in the groin (or a little bit lower) - please palpate this area; lack of stool or gas, abdominal pain, you should visit ER right away.

Other possible reason of such strong pain are urinary tract stones. The pain is in lower abdomen, radiates to the back and groin. Frequent urinating and burning while urinating also appears. In urine analysis, erythrocytes should be present. Morphine is contraindicated in case of kidney stones - it causes smooth muscles spasm and wont help for sure. You should rather get smooth muscles relaxing medicines. Drink plenty of mineral water and get cranberries supplements.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Have a femoral hernia which was not seen in a CT scan. Is this possible? 7 hours later
Thank you for the quick response, I'm disappointed in my health system. Went to see my family dr and he has booked me to se a surgeon. I am lucky and pay for private health insurance. I'm booked to see him in less than a week. I only took morphine once because I think it could mask anything new I feel also because unfortunately tho I'm on so much pain I have to drive and work. My family dr said sending patients back whose hernia hasn't ruptured is the norm. I will try to look after myself a bit more from now until treatment happens. Pain is a bit better. I'm puzzled as I said I'm a healthy woman and all these symptoms have hit me at once. I've been feeling pretty miserable. To my disgrace the hospital send me to see a psychologist n physio despite having those results that confirmed a hernia. Sad :(
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Just avoid lifting heavy objects, hold your groin area when coughing, bending etc.
As long as you do not have mentioned earlier symptoms (lack of stool and gas, bloated abdomen, nausea, vomiting) the hernia is not urgent.
For water (2-3 liters/24 hours) and have cranberries supplements. Hot bath should help with the pain as well as heating pad.

This is all I can do for you from the point of this forum. You need a surgeon help for sure. And no need to send you to psychologist in my opinion.

By the way, please do not feel miserable. This conditions are not serious and can be easily treated. So there is a great possibility that you will be fine and healthy as you were before.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Have a femoral hernia which was not seen in a CT scan. Is this possible? 38 minutes later
Thank you. It has been great talking to you about my symptoms
I've uploaded my urinalysis. It showed erythrocytes
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 hours later
According to your urine analysis there is an infection for sure (Polymophs - Pus cells are elevated). Urine culture result should be available after 3 days (it says pending). Culture test will tell which exactly antibiotic will be the most effective (as it seems an antibiotic is necessary at your case).
Kidney stones can cause such infection. But there is not much signs in the urine which would indicate stones. So infection only seems the most accurate diagnose.

So in conclusion, please get an antibiotic from your doctor. Drink plenty of mineral water and have cranberries supplements.

Follow-up: Have a femoral hernia which was not seen in a CT scan. Is this possible? 4 hours later
Hi sorry to be such a pain - puzzled by results. Got back an ultrasound (pelvic) it showed 2 calcified fibroids. Dr said to not worry about this and these should not cause any pain as the size of my uterus is normal. I'm not feeling confident in my dr anymore. Can you shed some light? Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 hours later

Uterine fibroids should be removed by a gynecologist and send for histopatology to see if there is no cancer in it. The risk of fibroids to cancer conversion is very low like 0,8%, however possible. But such fibroids can give abdominal pains, urinating problems, pain during intercourse, strange bleeding etc.

I suggest you to visit gynecologist, have trasnvaginal ultrasound and discuss removal of this fibroids.

Hope this will help.
Follow-up: Have a femoral hernia which was not seen in a CT scan. Is this possible? 3 hours later
Thank you - I will ask him to refer me to gyno. What a bugger of a week. Kind regards :)
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later
You are welcome.