Have a cyst on spinal cord sheath. Should I be worried?

Nov 2013

My 73 year old wife displays a cyst on the spinal cord sheath exterior in the cervical area "C6-7 T 1". Her doctor classifies it as a "SYNOVIAL CYST (ICD-727.40) WITH SPINAL STENOSIS IN CERVICAL REGION (ICD-723.0)" I find no such cyst listed in WebMD. Can this "SYNOVIAL CYST" BE IDENTICAL TO A "SPINAL Arachnoid Cysts", which is listed in WebMD? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: It is likely to be a synovial cyst Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. In the location as described in the MRI report, the most likely possibility is a synovial cyst. Synovial cyst is related to the bones and joints, whereas the arachnoid cyst is located in the nerve tissue and is commonly seen within the spinal cord, not outside. In any case, the picture would be clearer during surgery and the diagnosis can be confirmed after biopsy. Surgery would be required in both the cases. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog: