Have a cut on hand. Will I get rabies if I touch a garbage bag that an animal got into?

Question
I had a cut on my hand and touched a garbage bag that a animal got into and now I fear I'm gonna die and get rabbies I went to the ER and the doctors they both said I'm fine I had blood done my white blood cells showed no signs of infection, would rabbies infection show up in blood a week after? I have very high anxitey and OCD and depression now please help
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It will not show; but you mostly do not have it

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

As far as I know, the likelihood of you getting rabies from the above mentioned sequence of events is slim to nothing. This is the most important point.

Now to answer your question sir, unfortunately rabies is a very unique infection. Because it does not show any clinical symptoms in a person who has the infection until a few days before death. As for clinical investigations, the blood and tissue samples that are used to diagnose rabies can be conducted only in an individual who exhibits symptoms or signs of rabies. So any blood tests conducted on you now, will be inconclusive. The best and most effective measure of finding out whether or not an individual has rabies is to test the animal.

So the answer to your questions would be no sir, rabies will not show up on blood investigations a week after possible exposure. And in my opinion, you most probably cannot get rabies from just this cut wound, so you may rest assured.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Follow-up: Have a cut on hand. Will I get rabies if I touch a garbage bag that an animal got into? 3 minutes later
Do you think I can get the shots?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can; but with a doctors help

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Of course you can. But for that you will have to visit your doctor and get well examined. If your doctor finds reason enough to give you the shots, then he surely will. But, there is a 1 % chance for you to get rabies through the event that took place with you. But if your doctor thinks the exposure stills holds a risk, then he/she might prescribe you the shots.

I hope this information helps. Wishing you good health and nothing less.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Have a cut on hand. Will I get rabies if I touch a garbage bag that an animal got into? 1 minute later
All I do is cry thinking I'm going to die how long do I have wait this out?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please do not worry, you are fine

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

Oh please do not worry XXXXXXX I am almost completely sure you will not and cannot get rabies from the event that took place with you.

You could either way approach a doctor at the earliest and take the post-exposure vaccination regimen. This will put your mind at ease and also help build your immunity for at least the next 2 years, protecting you against rabies, even if you are exposed to it.

I am sure you are fine, please do not fret. And take care of your self.

God bless.

Follow-up: Have a cut on hand. Will I get rabies if I touch a garbage bag that an animal got into? 4 minutes later
I can't help it I'm in severe depression and I think I can get rabies now for years to come

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consider visitng a medical counselor

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

If you have been depressed, I would advice you to visit a counselor, who would also help you with immediate investigation of your current status and also provide you with anti-rabies vaccination, which will keep you rabies free for the next two years. You can take this vaccination every two years, and put your mind at rest for the rest of your life.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to write back to me, I am always available to help.

Can I die from getting the shots?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no way this is possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

No XXXXXXX there is no way this is possible. The shots are absolutely safe. Please go ahead.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Have a cut on hand. Will I get rabies if I touch a garbage bag that an animal got into? 2 minutes later
I hope it's not to late it's been 11 days today

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All is and will be well, never too late

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Better late than never. Don't worry, I am sure all is well and surely will be in the future as well.

One last question do you think the cut would have been infected if any saliva got in it? Wouldn't there be any signs right away?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No; and no my friend

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

It is highly unlikely that saliva got into your wound by this, as such cases have never before been reported, and for a reason. The reason being that it is not possible.

And if hypothetically it were, then there would not be any signs or symptoms immediately, no.

Hope this helps.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the saliva die as soon as it's out of its mouth

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be not immediately, but within few minutes

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes XXXXXXX you are right. The virus canmpt survive for long outside the rabid animals body, even in the saliva. May be it does not die immediately, but it will within a few minutes.

Follow-up: Have a cut on hand. Will I get rabies if I touch a garbage bag that an animal got into? 17 minutes later
This is the worse feeling in the world

Brief Answer:
I can understand, but don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I can ubderstand XXXXXXX but if tests report that you are rabies-free and you then take a shot to prevent rabies for at least the next two years, woydn't that make you feel better? It should my frined, because I am sure you are fine.

Take care and god bless.