Ask a Dentist   »  

Have a cracked molar, on temporary crown. Pain with pressure and cold. Cyst on a nerve. Recovery? Need to remove it?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I have been to my dentist who says I have a cracked molar (#31) and put on a temporary crown about a week ago. I had been having pain on the inside of the tooth with pressure and cold. The pain continued so my dds referred me to an endodontist. She said that the nerve was irritated and found what looked like an oral cyst below it. I was referred to an oral surgeon who said the cyst is on a nerve, wouldn't be easy to biopsy and want to do a ct scan next. Can the cyst be causing the pain? What will the ct show that the exray won't? What is the recovery like if I need to have it removed? What are the chances that it is benign?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 19 hours later
Thank you for the query. You have informed that your discomfort is only when you pressure and while taking cold, which means pain is probably because of tooth itself. If you have discomfort like pressure/pain/numbness/tingling sensation in the region even otherwise then the cyst is the origin.
The X-ray has certain limitations because it is a 2-dimensional picture of a 3 dimensional object. The advantage with CT is it gives 3-dimensional idea of the lesion like it's clear extent, it's relation with the nearby vital structures, it's aggressiveness.
The recovery period depends upon the size and type of cyst. If the cause for the cyst is sequencing of crack decay and size is smaller then recovery period less [3-5 days]. If the lesion is bigger and cause is due to developmental disturbances the recovery period is more [10-15days]
By your explanation it appears to be benign as there are no signs of malignancy / secondary changes.

Hope this clarifies your query, If yes kindly accept the answer, if not you are well-come for further clarifications.
Wish you speedy recovery,
with regards