Have a collapsed lung. Worried about chest tube. Guide

Question
ok. I think I have a collapsed lung and im really scared but what im most afraid of is the chest tube I dont want one:((
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Have you got diagnosed of the condition. I suggest you get an Xray and if needed a CT scan to diagnose the condition first.

Follow-up: Have a collapsed lung. Worried about chest tube. Guide 2 hours later
does a chest tube hurt

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Yes, chest tube does hurt but the pain will not be too severe as the tube is placed in the areas which are least sensitive for pain.

In case you have collapsed lung due to any collection in the pleural cavity, then a chest tube can save your life asking only little. The pain caused by the tube could be a small thing against the damage the condition (collapsed lung) can cause.

Do get a Xray and an CT scan to diagnose your suspicion.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Have a collapsed lung. Worried about chest tube. Guide 20 minutes later
then why on tv shows you see people screaming in pain when they get a chest tube is a chest tube snd a breathing tube the same thing or are they diffrent

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 39 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

No, Chest tube is one which is placed in the space between the ribs to drain any collection inside the chest which is compressing the lungs and leading to collapse.

Below link provides images or a chest tube.

WWW.WWWW.WW
A breathing tube or an endotracheal tube is one which is placed when patient is in serious conditions unable to breath. The breathing tube is connected to the ventilator and assist the patient in breathing.

Below is a link which provides information about the breathing tube.

WWW.WWWW.WW au/intubation

Chest tube does not cause much pain, where as the breathing tube though cause discomfort it is used usually in unconscious patients.

Hope this answers your doubt.

Follow-up: Have a collapsed lung. Worried about chest tube. Guide 5 minutes later
which one hurts more

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 minutes later

The breathing tube/endotracheal tube hurts more comparatively.

Follow-up: Have a collapsed lung. Worried about chest tube. Guide 6 minutes later
so do you think I cant wait to go to the doctor or should I go to the energency room im really scared of the diagnosis ive never had a chest tube and i hate hospitals

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 minutes later

If you have symptoms then you must attend to the ER to find out the cause for your problem and take necessary step before it is too late.

Follow-up: Have a collapsed lung. Worried about chest tube. Guide 2 minutes later
so I cant wait to go to s regular doctor tommrow

I do not know your symptoms to analyze and advice you the next action.

Kindly do mention what problem,s are you suffering from.

Waiting for your response,

Follow-up: Have a collapsed lung. Worried about chest tube. Guide 3 minutes later
shortness of breath and chest pain right below my bust area and sometimes in my chest

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Your symptoms do not sound serious. It depends on the severity whether or not there is need for urgent medical attention. If you are able to bare then there is no need to rush as of now.

ok now if I did have a collapsed lung and it was small would they send me home

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later

Yes, if the collapsed lung is incipient they will send you back without any intervention.They may just place you on medications.

Follow-up: Have a collapsed lung. Worried about chest tube. Guide 7 hours later
if I had a blood clot in my leg would my leg be swollen

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 30 hours later

Yes, blood clot in the veins of legs result in impaired circulation which causes swelling.